Saturday, April 20, 2013

Field Trip to The Wedge

Mornings are always an enjoyable time for me.  I love sitting at the counter, enjoying a warm beverage, eating my breakfast while reading a little something.  Lately, what I've been reading are my materials from Maggie.  My binder chapters, the chapters in my books and of course recipes.
 I sit, I read and I make shopping lists for the recipes I want to try.  The different ingredients needed for my recipes have me going to different kinds of markets and co-ops.  This morning I decided to venture across the river to visit a co-op several people have raved about called The Wedge.
 I do believe it was the first store I have ever been to that had a big bin full of fiddleheads.  I don't even know what they are, how they taste or how you would cook them, but they are the coolest shaped food ever. 
 And I was SUPER impressed by their selection of items in self dispensing bins.  An ENTIRE aisle of them, whoa.
 And who wouldn't love wood from your hood?  Cute slogan and I LOVE the idea of taking scrap wood and turning it into useful cutting boards.
 I filled my cart with some things I would need to make a big batch of Pho and a 3 bean salad recipe I want to try.
 Like all of these places, it was expensive.  This organic thing ain't cheap, that's for sure.  But I was happy with my experience there.  I will probably stick to Mississippi Market as it is closer and just as nice, but I was glad I went so I could see what the fuss was about.

Afterwards, I was stopping by an art fair and found an awesome food truck parked outside that used only local organic ingredients from businesses whose philosophies matched their own.  Perfect, I was hungry and was thrilled to be presented with an entire truck full of good choices.
 Behold, my red lentil, brown rice "burger" with beets and sprouts with a side of quinoa salad.  It was super delicious and I sat in the sunshine and slowly ate it while breathing deep and appreciating the flavors.  Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment